We hope to see you in Montpelier on Friday, where so much is going on! Gather with Vermont Freedom to Marry, Outright Vermont, RU12? Community Center, Truth Wins Out (TWO), Vermont CARES and LGBTQA Vermonters from around the state. Meet Joshua Fontanez, president, and members of the Norwich University Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Questioning and Allies Club who are making history with the nation's very first PRIDE Week at a military school! At 9:15 a.m., Joshua will be introduced on the House floor -- get ready to cheer!
It's a special time to meet up at the Vermont State House. The year 2012 marks the 20th anniversary of passage of the Vermont Gay Rights law. In 1992, Vermont passed a law giving protections from discrimination in employment, public accomodations, and more to gay, lesbian and bisexual Vermonters (transgender protections would come later, in 2007). Even today, in 2012, most states still do not have these basic protections.
We have achieved significant measures of equality within our state -- and April 6 is a reminder of the April 7, 2009 date when legislators overrode Governor Douglas's veto, thereby establishing marriage equality as the law of this land our state.
Come celebrate with your equality community members and many of the legislators who have supported our cause over the years!
YOU'RE INVITED! LGBTQA LEADERSHIP DAY AT THE STATE HOUSE
Gather at Vermont's State House in Montpelier. Meet and talk with state leaders, including LGBTQA officials and Governor Peter Shumlin. Organized by the RU12? Community Center, Outright Vermont, Vermont CARES, Vermont Freedom to Marry, and Truth Wins Out, this awareness and leadership day is designed for LGBTQA people of all ages and all degrees of civic engagement.
View and R.S.V.P. to this event on Facebook.
LEADERSHIP DAY AGENDA:
- 7:45AM – 9:15AM Breakfast in the Statehouse cafeteria
- 8:45AM Framing the day - conversations with Vermont's LGBTQA organizations
- 9:15AM Introduction on the House floor
- Morning devotional by Rev. Emily Heath of the West Dover Congregational Church
- 9:45AM - 11:00AM Discussion and Mingling with LGBTQA Statehouse regulars in Room 11: Meet and greet fellow Leadership Day participants. Q&A with LGBTQA legislators, Statehouse workers, and Statehouse regulars
- 11:00AM Meet with Governor Peter Shumlin in the Ceremonial Office
- 11:30AM-12:45PM Meet and greet with legislators in the cafeteria
- 1:00PM A light luncheon for participants hosted by Vermont CARES in their new Montpelier offices at 58 East State Street
ALSO ON APRIL 6: HAVE A SUPREME EXPERIENCE AT VERMONT'S SUPREME COURT
For anyone who will be in the Montpelier area on April 6th, here's your invitation to visit the Vermont Supreme Court, learn about the court process, and talk with Justice Beth Robinson. Take a tour of the court and watch as youth experience a mock trial, followed by Q&A with Justice Robinson, the first openly LGBT judge on the Vermont Supreme Court. Prior to her time with the court, Justice Robinson served as Governor Peter Shumlin's general counsel.
TO ATTEND: Meet in the Supreme Court lobby on the second floor of the Supreme Court building at 12:45 p.m. The mock trial will begin at 1:00. The Supreme Court is located on the green beside, and slightly in front of, the State House.