Join Vermont Freedom to Marry and many others in Montpelier for LGBTQA Leadership Day on April 12.
Come spend the day with Vermont’s diverse lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and ally (LGBTQA) community members and organizations for the eighteenth annual Leadership Day at the Vermont Statehouse on Friday, April 12.
Tour Your Statehouse; Meet Your Legislators.
Learn more, R.S.V.P., and invite your friends here.
On Leadership Day, previously known as Visibility Day, Vermont LGBTQA community members will meet with lawmakers, network, and discuss legislative priorities. The RU12? Community Center, Outright Vermont, Vermont CARES, and Vermont Freedom to Marry designed this day for LGBTQA people of all ages and all degrees of civic engagement -- including first-timers. Issues include disability rights, transgender health care, elder care, and HIV.
The goals of this event are:
- Ensuring LGBTQ legislative issues remain a priority for lawmakers
- Promoting leadership in the public and private sectors among LGBTQA communities around the state.
Vermont’s first-in-the-nation legal recognition of same-sex couples in 2000 to marriage equality cases in the U.S. Supreme Court in 2013,
people still need voices and rights, and there remain important issues
All equality-minded Vermonters, regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression, are encouraged to attend LGBTQA Leadership Day.
Review and download Leadership Day materials here.
Leadership Day Schedule:
- 7:00AM – 8:00AM Organizations set up informational tables in the Statehouse cafeteria
- 8:30AM – 9:30AM Donuts, coffee, and informal meet & greet with legislators, fellow Vermonters, and community groups
- 9:30AM Recognition on the floor of the Vermont House of Representatives; Morning devotional by Rev. Erica Baron, Unitarian Universalist Fellowship, Bennington & Unitarian Universalist Church, Rutland
- 10:00AM – 10:45AM Welcome by participating organizations, “How to Talk to Your Legislator” presentation in Room 11
- 10:45AM Individual and group visits with legislators; community organization panel presentation in Room 11
- 11:30AM Meet with Governor Shumlin in the Ceremonial Office
- 12:00PM Lunch (on your own) and legislator visits in the Statehouse cafeteria
- 1:00PM Regroup in Room 11, share experiences, brainstorm organizing ideas for the upcoming year, debrief
LGBTQA leaders will be available for comment during the mid-morning
meet and greet in Room 11 on the first floor of the Statehouse.
Leadership Day is for all who champion fairness and equality. We’re excited to see you there!